Marina Del Rey

Marina Del Rey

Marina Del Rey is an affluent, unincorporated seaside community in Los Angeles county.  It is southeast of Venice and north of Playa Del Rey near the mouth of the Ballona Creek and is bound on all sides by the City of Los Angeles.  The Marina, the world's largest man-made small craft harbor with 19 marinas that have a capacity for 5,300 boats, is home port to approximately 6,500 boats and is surrounded by high-rise condos, hotels, apartments, shops, and restaurants.

Prior to its development as a small craft harbor, the land occupied by Marina Del Rey was a salt-marsh fed by freshwater from the Ballona Creek, frequented by duck hunters and few others.  Throughout the late 1800's and early 1900's there were many plans by various developers to turn Marina Del Rey into a commercial port but it was not until 1953 that the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors authorized a $2 million loan to fund construction of the marina. Since the loan only covered about half the cost, the U.S. Congress passed and President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed Public Law 780 making construction possible.  The final key to the successful completion of the Marina was the construction of the breakwater in January, 1965 and in April, 1965 Marina Del Rey was formally dedicated.
 

In addition to offering a variety of water sports and aquatic pursuits, Marina Del Rey enjoys close proximity to Los Angeles International Airport and easy access to the Westside and South Bay communities.  It shares the major thoroughfare of Washington Boulevard with its neighbor, Venice, and the street is known for it's many shops, pubs and variety of dining establishments.  The Burton W. Chase Park has barbecues, harbor viewing areas, multi-purpose rooms, pergolas, guest docks, picnic shelters, and picnic tables and the park holds an array of free concerts throughout the summer.  The South Bay Bicycle Trail, which spans from Will Rogers State Park to the north in Pacific Palisades down to Torrance Beach, runs through Chase Park which is located about halfway between the two points making it an ideal stopping point for cyclists.  The trail also runs near The Waterside shopping plaza, which offers everything from organic grocery stores to a post office and bank, an array of eateries and coffee shops, and nail, spa and hair services.