Palms

Palms

Palms (originally "The Palms") is a community founded in 1886 in West Los Angeles that was the oldest neighborhood annexed to the city of Los Angeles, in 1915. The 1886 tract was marketed as an agricultural and vacation community but today it is a primarily residential area, with a large number of apartment buildings, some commercial zoning and a quiet single-family residential area in its northwest corner. Palms has no official boundaries but it lies generally northwest of Culver City, south of Cheviot Hills, southeast of Rancho Park and northeast of Mar Vista. The 1886 subdivision map filed with Los Angeles County showed Palms as bounded on the northeast by what would today be Manning Avenue.

In Spanish and Mexican days, the area that later became Palms was a part of the Rancho La Ballona where, in 1819, Agustín and Ygnacio Machado, along with Felipe Talamantes and his son, Tomás, acquired grazing rights to 14,000 acres of land. It was thenceforth used as grazing land for cattle and sheep.  According to family lore, Agustín was chosen, by virtue of his skill as a horseman, to ride his fastest steed from dawn until dusk, beginning at the foot of the Playa Del Rey hills and ending east on Pico, to claim Rancho La Ballona.  Agustin Machado died in 1865, the same year La Ballona School was constructed to serve all elementary-age children within the Ballona School District.  In 1871, a general store was constructed at the crossing which later became Washington Boulevard and Overland Avenue (three corners of that intersection are in Culver City and one is in Palms) and the store, which was also a way stop on the county road between Los Angeles and the ocean, also housed the area's first post office. Palms' diversity is reflected in its landmarks. Religious sites include the complexes of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness on Watseka Avenue and the Iranian-American Muslim Association of North America (IMAN) on Motor Avenue.  Palms also has a large number of Indian and Pakistani restaurants and businesses. In addition, it is also one of the centers of the Brazilian community in Los Angeles, with a number of Brazilian-oriented restaurants and shops and a nightclub. In 1979, the original Chippendales club at 3739 Overland Avenue at McCune Avenue was started by Bengali immigrant Steve Banerjee.  The area is host to an unusual museum, the Museum of Jurassic Technology, and a research institute, the Center for Land Use Interpretation

In addition to its variety of dining, worshiping and shopping choices, Palms is also home to Palms Park and Palms Recreation Center.  The recreation center has an auditorium, barbecue pits, lighted outdoor basketball courts, a children's play room, a community room, and picnic tables. The Palms Park Child Care Center is adjacent to the park. Preschool is offered for children ages 3-5. and the center has an enclosed play area.  Residents also enjoy the Motor Avenue Farmers Market which has proved to be a remarkable success since opening in late summer, 2012.

*Please note that while Mar Vista and Palms are two distinct neighborhoods, the Multiple Listing Service (MLS) does lump them together on its search listing site as one group.